Tuesday, January 2, 2018

BBC and the British Museum: A History of the World - #1 The Mummy of Hornedjitef



I loved this series when it first came out and accompanying book. The local radio station played this segment once a day and I didn't miss one! I started to highlight the objects on the blog a few years ago, but alas, I never made it through. I'm going to try and get through it this time! I think it would be helpful to have a regularly scheduled post to help get myself in the mood for writing.

The first object is the Mummy of Hornedjitef

© Trustees of the British Museum
Location: Africa - Thebes, Egypt
Culture: Ancient Egypt
Period: 3rd Century BCE
Size: 194.5 cm x 60 cm
Material: Painted Wood 


While not the earliest object in this history of the world, mummies are often the gateway into the ancient world. This mummy, Hornedjitef, was a priest at the Temple of Karnak. Elaborate coffins like this one were all part of one's needs for the afterlife.
The highlight of this episode is the new advances in science. Scanning the mummy revealed that he suffered from arthritis in his back, a very painful condition.
For more on this mummy, listen here.