Friday, January 6, 2012

Ripped: The Allure of Collage

While modern art is not my favorite, I am certainly growing to appreciate it. The museum I volunteer at, the Hechscher Museum of Art, is finishing up one of their exhibits, Ripped: The Allure of Collage. This exhibit features, as the title suggests, collage. Collage was inspired by my least favorite type of art, Cubism. I was struck by how beautiful and interesting some of these pieces were. Take a peek at some of my favs:

Nancy Scheinman
Timeless Waterfall Music Echoes. n.d.
Mixed-media collage: acrylic, oil, canvas, paper, antique tin, polymer clay, and patinated copper on wood panel. 21 x 21 in.
Courtesy of the Artist and Jane Sauer Gallery, Santa Fe, New Mexico

Miriam Schapiro
The Measured Heart. 1982.
Collage, acrylic and fabric on paper. 36 x 36 in.
Museum Purchase 1999.8.3

John Digby
Camel. c. 1990s.
Collage, Archival papers and paste, black and white ink. 6-1/2 x 5-1/2 in.
Collection of Joan and John Digby

 Took For Granted
Mark Wagner

For this last piece, artist Mark Wagner took the iconic American Gothic and created the entire thing out of dollar bills. Which I'm pretty sure is illegal?? But is incredible in person. 

The show is running until this Sunday. If you can't get out to it, at least you can see a glimpse of it here. 


-VB

Images borrowed from the Heckscher website. NOT mine.