Saturday, May 24, 2014

Roaming Rome




I am fortunate to be working on an archaeological excavation this summer on the island of Stromboli in Italy. The site is a Bronze Age site connected to the Mycenaean world, probably by trade. This is my first dig! I want to record what goes on in case anyone else put there is going on a dig and needs some advice.

My first bit of advice: explore! While my dig site is off the coast of Sicily, we decided a day in Rome was needed. We flew into Rome today, a day earlier than we were going to the island. Although we were all completely beyond exhausted, (I have slept probably 3-4 hours in the past day) we fueled up and set out with a game plan in mind and wanting to see sites not museums. The results: one of the best days of my life.
 Here is a look of at our adventures which started with espresso and pizza and ended with gelato:




The above two pictures are of the Emperor Trajan's baths, a site we found by happy accident. They were massive!




Ah, you should see the Colosseum! Amazing and huge!






The Arch of Constantine was surrounded by scaffolding but still amazing to see! 
Here is a detail:






A trip up the Via Sacra.







Columns from the Forum Romanum




Ended with the Pantheon






 While I know about these sites already, I really did not grasp how amazing they are. No matter how much  you think you might now these works, until you see them in person, you are limiting yourself. The works are so much bigger than you think, making them much more impressive!

Tomorrow, making our way to Stromboli!